Friday, August 2, 2013

NSA- day two

dun dun duuuuuuuuuuuuhh.. day two

ok so yesterday i spent a moment calculating my entire month of july to figure out where i spend my money, how much i spent and where i could/need to cut back for my no spend month.

here's the breakdown:

30% of my income is spent on what i deem "necessities". this includes rent, electric, internet, netflix (i mean.. come on), phone and gym. these are all things i have to pay and cannot change what i pay.

student loans make up another 23% of my income that i cannot change. that's a total of 52-53% of my income. awesome student loans. thank you. and they want to increase what i pay. i want to punch them in the face.

so other things that i need to pay but could potentially change the amount are groceries and gas. in the month of july i spent 26% of my income on groceries and gas. (approx. 22% on groceries and 4% on gas. i go no where. yay!)

other things that i spend money on that i don't really need to are what i call extras (random shopping trips, gifts, etc.), extra food (this includes going out to eat and times where i run to the grocery store in town - mondo bucks), and liquor. some days i deem liquor as an essential. last month i spent a total of 40.5% of my income on these things (extra- 28%, extra food 6.4%, liquor 6%).

* i've rounded up on a few number so it's not exact. plus i paid some medical bills. oh and my income randomly decreased (stupid taxes) so my income is less than it was. but i did get a bonus. ok let me just tell you my whole life story while i'm at it right? never mind. moving on.

so here's the plan:
  • i have $50 from a previous bonus. that is my money allowed for the hospital fair. anything over that will dig into my
  • $100 that will be my spending money for the month. (aka $25 per week in wine.)
  • i was going to try to limit my grocery money to $200 which i might do anyhow but we'll see how that goes considering i'm going to be
  • limiting all extra food money and all extra money. that means no presents for emily. no itunes. no extra stuff at the grocery store. oh and
  • meal planning. yuck. but that's how we're going to use up all that random food. last night we had tortilla chicken and i used those stinkin' corn tortillas that have been hanging around forever. the only way i could make them delicious again.

so i guess we'll see how it goes from here. i probably won't post saturday or sunday but i'll try to keep a record of what i do at the fair and how i'm doing with meals. (i think we're going to be eating a lot of eggs. and i already miss my sweets.)  i had to pull $100 out of savings yesterday to pay my rent so i'm starting today with $3 + my paycheck. day two is already awesome.

i'm also going to try to remember my 31 miles in 31 days (hopefully more) but i have a 5k i want to fly through in september so i better get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment