Thursday, October 24, 2013

my ball adventures

so recently i've switched to using an exercise ball instead of a chair at work. i did my research. i made the commitment. i decided i would switch it up as of the time that my bosses went on vacation for several reasons:
a) no child would be tempted to play with my "chair"
b) no one would be able to give me grief about it
c) i wouldn't have to hear anything about it if i hated it.

also other reasons,
d) i sit at a desk all day, my hope was that i would move more
e) apparently you can burn an extra 350 calories a day. i'm all for that.

selfish reasons. mainly to keep my own sanity.

i brought in the exercise ball i already had. $5 at some store. cheap. i figured if i liked it i could get one that would actually work. according to my research i would need a ball that was 55 cm since i'm 5'6". i thought about getting a bigger one since i do still need to be up a little higher but soon after bringing my small ball in i was given the chance to borrow a 55 cm ball and i thought, "sweet". yes, i am really that deep.

so bosses on vacation for two and a half weeks. what did i notice? i noticed that i sat a whole lot lower. i have to bounce (don't laugh) in order to see if someone has parked in the parking lot or if someone is coming in. i'm probably at least 10" lower than i would be in my chair. but that also has it's benefits. i can cross my legs and not hit my keyboard. i also realized that i got up a whole lot more. i have to get up to check the phone to see who's calling. i have to get up to file. i have to get up to hit accept on the fax machine. but also i wanted to get up. move around a whole lot more.

but also while they were gone i was doing a whole lot of things that didn't really require me sitting all day so now that they're back, it's a whole new ball game.

my job mainly consists of answering the phone, making appointments, filing, making folders for clients, dealing with clients, and typing. lots of typing. i know proper form for desk sitting. both feet on the floor, computer monitor at head level, keyboard just below your hands, elbows bent at 90 degrees...

this ball is short. my boss has started calling me a less fond word than "tiny". when clients come in i have to stand up so they know i'm there. (there's a counter space above my desk so i'm hard to see)

also, while i love that i do get up more and move more i'm getting pains in my hips if i don't move for too long. probably from my rolling forward and resting on the backs of my heels. and my reach is wrong for my keyboard. so that's why i'm happy to inform you that today is my last day on the ball.

with all hope, by tomorrow i will be riding high on this:

Isokinetics Inc. Brand Fitness Ball Chair - Metal Frame - Adjustable Base and Back Height


i like that there are wheels and adjustable heights. while i do believe that my posture has gotten better, i am a bit thankful that there is a small back support. i have been using my ball to do some stretches/exercises in my down time so i'm hoping that will continue. plus i hope that just having the ball will inspire me to move more. since that is the whole purpose of it. plus it will keep littles from playing with it. possibly. and hopefully it will solve my hip problem.  


only time will tell. and i'll keep you updated on the progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment